The Nashville Zoo
Susan, my lovely bride, suggested last summer that we
purchase a membership to the Nashville Zoo at Grassmere. I was a bit skeptical at first, wondering if we would actually visit the zoo enough times to make the membership worthwile. Well, let me tell anyone who is considering a membership to the zoo that this has probably been the most well spent money since Suz and I met. We have been to the Nashville Zoo well over 50 times since the membership was purchased.
This summer while she has been at home with the kids they have been atleast once a week every week but two this summer. I have been many times; but not nearly the number of times that the rest of the family has gone.Usually I go with the family and try to take some good pictures of the animals; however, I am not able to spend the time composing and "waiting for the shot" that I am acostomed to when on a shoot by
myself or with other photographers. Photographicly, what these trips have done is
forced me to see all of the bad shots that I have taken over the last year and a half, critique them, and figure out how to take them better when I return to the Zoo with the ability to take the time. Recently, I took a morning to do just that. I was able to draw upon all of the mental notes that I had taken and get several of the
compositions that I had visualized. Here are the results. Some, one in particular, still require more work.

2 Comments:
Wow, your photos are awesome. I love the giraffe. Would love to visit the Nashville Zoo. We have annual passes to the San Diego Zoo and Wild Animal Park. We love it. I've taken so many pictures of animals, I've now changed my focus. I take pictures of animals' rear ends. You can check my blog to see a pic of a rhino I took. No, it's not yucky. I'm rambling. Take a look: 1of2shoes.blogspot.com
The pictures are great. I particularly like the dragon fly and the parrot.
I find the tree behind the giraffe just a bit too distracting.
The composition on the gibbon is good with his arm and leg intersecting with the edges of the frame and the catchlights in the eyes on an action shot is nice. The dynamic range there was a bit much, but the blown out sky works in contrast with the black gibbon.
Post a Comment
<< Home